|California Society of the
Sons of the American Revolution
Gen. George S. Patton, Jr., Chapter
Minutes of the
The June 2002 meeting of the General George S. Patton, Jr., Chapter of the CASSAR was held in the Library of the Berylwood Officers Club on Friday, June 14, 2002. The meeting was called to order by President Jay C. Wood at 12:00 p.m. Following the Invocation, Pledge of Allegiance, and SAR Pledge, members and guest adjourned to the buffet for lunch. Twelve Compatriots were present: President Wood, John Bayles, Alan D. Buckley, Frank Budroe, Hale Hamilton, Richard Hawley, Ed Holt, Edwin Holt, J. Stephen Hurst, Robert Nedry, William Noel Scruggs, and Ronald Risley. Two guests were present: Willette Budroe and Shirley Hamilton.
President Wood reconvened the meeting at 12:45 p.m.
- Secretary: The Minutes of the May 2002 meeting were submitted and approved.
- Treasurer: The Treasurer's Report for May 2002 was approved, subject to audit. Compatriot Risely welcomed suggestions about possible fund raising events for the chapter.
- President's Report: President Wood reported on his recent appearances on behalf of the chapter, including Pride in America Day presentations at Fillmore Middle School, Los Primeros Structured School, and Monte Vista School. Along with Compatriot Budroe, President Wood represented the chapter at Memorial Day services at Ivy Lawn Memorial Park. Compatriot Budroe presented Spirit of America awards at the Las Colinas School and Compatriot Risely represented the chapter at Los Altos Intermediate School Pride in America celebrations. Compatriot Buckley represented the chapter at Memorial Day services at Conejo Mountain Memorial Park.
- Awards: Compatriot Budroe represented the chapter at the Conejo Valley DAR Chapter meeting in June, presenting the SAR Daughters of Liberty Medal to Dee Rickards and the SAR Medal of Appreciation to Patricia Griffin.
- Installation of New Member: William Noel Scruggs, descendant of John Scruggs, Pvt. Va. Line, was installed as a member of the Patton Chapter.
- Flag Day: Compatriots Risley, Budroe, Wood, and Buckley will represent the chapter at the Annucal Flag Day Ceremony at the Council Chambers in the Camarillo City Hall on June 14. Compatriot Risley will deliver an address to the audience at that celebration.
Following the business meeting, President Wood led a discussion of events of the day, including celebratory remarks regarding Flag Day.
Before adjournment, a moment of silence was observed for our departed Compatriot and Charter Member of the Patton Chapter, Tom Miller. After the SAR Recessional and Benediction, the meeting was adjourned.
Respectfully submitted, Alan D. Buckley, Chapter Secretary.