|California Society of the
Sons of the American Revolution
Gen. George S. Patton, Jr., Chapter
Minutes of the
The August 2003 meeting of the General George S. Patton, Jr., Chapter of the CASSAR was held in the Library of the Berylwood Officers Club on Friday, August 8, 2003. The meeting was called to order by Chapter President J. Stephen Hurst at 12:00 p.m. Following the Invocation, Pledge of Allegiance, and SAR Pledge, members and guest adjourned to the buffet. Five Compatriots were present: President Hurst, Frank Budroe, Alan D. Buckley, O. B. Dutton, and Ronald Risley. Three guests were present: Bob Taylor, Don Wooldridge, and Willette Budroe.
President Hurst reconvened the meeting at 12:45 p.m.
- President: The Chapter's contribution to the National Society of the Children of the American Revolution was acknowledged. Compatriots congratulated Michelle Taylor for her selection as Miss Teen Oxnard.
- Secretary: The Minutes of the August 2003 meeting were submitted and approved.
- Treasurer: The Treasurer's Report for August 2003 was approved, subject to audit.
- Registrar: Compatriot Risley reported that five new members have been approved thus far this year and that five new membership are pending with the National Society.
- Eagle Scouts: Compatriot Risley represented the Patton Chapter at an Eagle Scout Court of Honor in Simi Valley on June 26.
- California History Textbook Issue: Both the National and State societies are aware of and active in ensuring that California's textbooks present full and accurate information regarding the Founders' contributions to our nation.
- Awards Nominations: President Hurst is soliciting nominations for Chapter awards, including law enforcement and fire fighter heroes. The Oxnard Police Chief may be a good candidate for such recognition.
- DAR Joint Meeting: Compatriot Budroe will investigate the possibility of a joint meeting with the Daughters.
- Spanish Soldiers Program: Compatriot Risley moved and Buckley seconded to arrange a presentation by Curtis Porter to the Chapter on the contributions of Spanish forces to American independence. Approved unanimously. Compatriot Buckley moved and Risley seconded to provide a $100 honorarium to Mr. Porter. Approved unanimously.
- Southern California SAR Meeting: Southern California chapters will meet on Saturday, October 11, in Los Alamitos.
- American Flag Etiquette: Compatriot Buckley reminded Chapter members about the proper treatment of the U.S. flag, as provided in the Federal Flag Code. President Hurst will investigate concerns about possible disrespect of the flag by prominent persons.
Following the business meeting, Compatriot Budroe made a presentation on the contributions of Patriot Ethan Allen to his grateful country.
After the SAR Recessional and Benediction, the meeting was adjourned.
Respectfully submitted, Alan D. Buckley, Chapter Secretary.