|California Society of
Sons of the American Revolution
Gen. George S. Patton, Jr., Chapter
The regular monthly luncheon meeting of the General George S. Patton, Jr., Chapter SAR was held Friday, 10 August 2007, in the Garden Room of Marie Callender’s Restaurant, 1295 S. Victoria Ave., Ventura, CA. The meeting was called to order by Acting Chapter President Ward White with Compatriot Gary Smith giving the Invocation, and Compatriot Ward White led the Pledge to the Flag and the Pledge to the SAR. In attendance were nine compatriots: Vice President Ward White, Registrar Ron Risley, Past Presidents Richard Hawley and Hale Hamilton, Bob Colbern, Dick McMullen, Burt Jacobs, Gary Smith, and Kioren Moss. The eighteen guests included Mrs. Shirley Hamilton, Mrs. Rosemarie Risley, Mrs. Bernie Smith, Mrs. Sua White, Mrs. Sunny McMullen, Mrs. Joan Norton, Mark and Catherine Collins, Garland Middleton, Bill Bays, Paul and Lillian Burns, Carol and Ed Gafford, George Horne, Bill Hurley, and Bob and Carol Lamb. Compatriots Bill Henry, Bob Taylor, Richard Caldwell and Frank Budroe were excused absences.
REPORTS: Reports were given by the following officers:
- In the absence of the secretary, Compatriot Risley gave the secretary’s report including the minutes of the chapter meeting on July 13. The minutes were approved as corrected.
- In the absence of the treasurer, Compatriot Risley gave the financial report. As of July 31, 2007, the chapter had a total of $11,192.21 deposited in the Bank of America. On a motion and a second the report was approved. The treasurer reported that it was possible to get 4.4% interest at another banking institution but he advised against moving the funds at this time because of payment of interest penalty on our CD.
- Registrar’s Report was given by Registrar Ron Risley. The applications for new Members James M. Williams, Jr. of Stevenson Ranch and James L. Williams of Moorpark had been received at NSSAR Headquarters.
- Eagle Scout Committee Chairman Dick Hawley, reported no pending awards to Eagle Scouts and suggested that the policy on the Eagle Scout Recognition Program be postponed until the next meeting.
- Other reports were given by Ward White as publicity chairman, and Gary Smith as chaplain.
- Membership certificate and rosette was presented to new member Burt Jacobs of Camarillo.
- Supplemental membership certificates were presented to Hale Hamilton of Ventura (3), and Ward White of Simi Valley(10). Not present to receive their supplemental membership certificates were Bob Taylor of Ventura (1) and Joel Schmaeman of Oxnard (1). Ward White set a new chapter record for the most supplemental ancestors registered in one action with ten each.
- Associate members Garland Middleton of Camarillo a descendant of Captain William Middleton of Westmoreland Co. VA; and William D. Bays of Ventura, a descendant of Brigadier General William Russell of Virginia’ were presented with associate membership certificates.
NEW BUSINESS: None
Compatriot Ron Risley portraying Major General Henry Knox of Massachusetts who served as Commanding General of Artillery for the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War, and afterward as Secretary of War in the new federal government under President George Washington, presented Henry Knox: True American which was the story of the remarkable life and achievements of Henry Knox. The material for the presentation was taken from North Callahan’s book, Henry Knox: General Washington’s General, A. S. Barnes & Co., New York (1958), 404 pages, taken from 0ver 11,000 original sources which are footnoted in the book. In closing his program Ron came out of character and said, “ We in the patriotic, lineage societies are here to help give the nation an anchor to the past, and some sense of direction for the future. I say to all Americans today, we need to protect and preserve our precious and proud American heritage and history which belongs to all Americans including those that were born yesterday or naturalized only today.”
The next regular Chapter meeting will be convened in the Garden Room at 11:30 a.m. on Friday, September 14, 2007. Past President Steve Hurst will present a program on John Calvin Brewster, a early artist and photographer in Ventura, The meeting was adjourned following the SAR recessional and the benediction.
Respectfully submitted by,
Ronald D. Risley
for Robert L. Taylor, Chapter Secretary.