|California Society of
Sons of the American Revolution
Gen. George S. Patton, Jr., Chapter
The regular monthly luncheon meeting of the General George S. Patton, Jr., Chapter SAR was held Friday, 14 December 2007, in the Garden Room of Marie Callenderís Restaurant, 1295 S. Victoria Ave., Ventura, CA. The meeting was called to order by Chapter President Bill Henry with Compatriot Gary Smith giving the Invocation, followed by the Pledge to the Flag and the Pledge to the SAR. In attendance were sixteen compatriots: President Bill Henry, Vice President Ward White, Registrar Ron Risley, Treasurer Richard Caldwell, Past Presidents Richard Hawley and Hale Hamilton, Frank Budroe, Dick McMullen, Burt Jacobs, Bob Colbern, Bob Taylor, Gary Smith, and associate members Garland Middleton, Bill Bays, Gilbert Anema, and Leonard DeWitt. The nine guests included Mrs. Rosemarie Risley, Mrs. Bernie Smith, Mrs. Ceil Caldwell, Mrs. Sunny McMullen, Mrs. Willette Budroe, Mrs. Elaine Colbern, Mrs. Shirley Hamilton, Mrs. Nancy Jacobs, Mrs. Rosalee Middleton.
Reports: Reports were given by the following officers:
- The Secretary Bob Taylor presented the minutes of the November chapter meeting, which were approved as read.
- The Treasurer Richard Caldwell presented the treasurerĎs report, with a current balance of $14,223.57. The report was approved as submitted.
- The Registrar Ron Risley presented the registrarís report. The applications for new members Garland Middleton, Bill Bays, William Hurley, Gilbert Anema, and George Horne have been submitted and are pending. The application for new member Edward Gafford is in preparation. The application for new associate member Mark Collins is pending. The application for Richard McMullenís supplemental ancestor has been approved by NASSAR, while those for Ward White and James Williams are pending. The youth registration for Nathan Huynh, grandson of Steve Hurst, is being resubmitted on another ancestor, Benjamin Phillips.
Compatriot Richard McMullen was presented with supplemental ancestor certificates by President Henry for his ancestor John Hall.
Other reports presented included:
- Chaplainís report by Gary Smith, who sent a get-well card to Mrs. Rosemarie Risley after she was attacked by a dog.
- Publicity by Ward White. Compatriot ancestor stories are requested for inclusion in the Ventura County Star.
- Constitutional Development Committee by Ron Risley.
- Eagle Scout report by Bill Henry. Due to the resignation of Dick Hawley, it was moved and approved to return the $500 grant to Steve Hurst. Ron Risley is currently maintaining the program, and has prepared an award for Scott Barnumís eagle Court of Honor, scheduled to be conducted 18 Dec. He is also processing the scholarship application submitted by Ryan Cribbs.
- Knight Essay Contest by Bill Henry. The deadline of 11 Jan was announced in the Ventura County Star.
- Nomination Committee by Bill Henry in Steve Hurstís absence. All serving officers have agreed to serve for 2008. Nominations from the floor were opened, with none being presented. The slate was approved by the membership, and the officers were duly sworn in by Ron Risley.
Frank Budroe thanked the color guard, who participated in the Veteranís Day ceremony at Ivy Lawn Memorial Park. Members were Frank Budroe, Gary Smith, Bob Taylor and Garland Middleton. Frank presented a SAR cap to Garland.
Dick McMullen requested information on uniform procurement. Bob Taylor volunteered to bring his uniform to the next meeting, and provide copies of the order form to Ron Risley.
New Business: Bill Henry announced upcoming events:
- Spring State meetings will be conducted 18, 19 Apr in Concord, CA.
- NSSAR Congress will be conducted 5-9 Jul in CA.
- The Massing of the Colors will be conducted 17 Feb at Forest Lawn, Hollywood Hills.
- Speaker for the 11 Jan meeting will be Tom Schiffer, Ventura Co. Museum.
Program: Bill Henry introduced the guest speaker, Rev. Leonard DeWitt, former pastor of the Ventura Missionary Church, and now pastor of senior membership at Ventura Baptist Church. He spoke on the impact of Christianity in the formation and history of the United States, and concerns for current trends for this countryís future.
Closing: The next meeting will be held in the Garden Room at 11:30 a.m. Friday, 11 January 2008. The guest speaker will be Tom Schiffer, Ventura County Museum. The meeting was adjourned following the SAR recessional and the benediction by Chaplain Smith.
Respectfully submitted by,
Robert Taylor, Chapter Secretary.