|California Society of
Sons of the American Revolution
Gen. George S. Patton, Jr., Chapter
The regular monthly luncheon meeting of the General George S. Patton, Jr., Chapter SAR was held Friday, 11 September 2009, Patriots Day, in the Garden Room of Marie Callender’s Restaurant, 1295 S. Victoria Ave., Ventura, CA. The meeting was called to order by Chapter Vice President Robert Taylor, acting in the absence of President Ward White. The Invocation was given by Compatriot Hale Hamilton, in the absence of the Chaplain Gary Smith, followed by the Pledge to the Flag and the Pledge to the SAR. In attendance were twelve compatriots: Vice President Bob Taylor, Past Presidents Bill Henry, Hale Hamilton and Ron Risley, Richard Manzer, Garland Middleton, David Bosworth, Lou Kreuzer, Bob Colbern, Steve Colbern, Garrett Colbern (Youth) and Burt Jacobs. The eleven guests included Mr. & Mrs. Allen Hanson (Evelyn), Mr. Richard Walton, Mr. Frank Shanta, prospective member Mr. Dan Sword, Mrs. Vicki Schmaeman (mother of compatriot Joel Schmaeman), and compatriots’ wives Mrs. Rosemarie Risley, Mrs. Shirley Hamilton, Mrs. Darian Taylor, Mrs. Rosalee Middleton, and Mrs. Karen Bosworth.
Reports: Reports were given by the following officers:
- The Secretary was absent; there were no minutes presented for the 14 Aug meeting.
- The Treasurer was absent due to shoulder surgery convalescence; the treasurer’s report was presented by Vice President Taylor, which was approved as read.
- Registrar George Horne was absent due to travel requirements; the registrar’s report was presented by former Registrar Ron Risley. The application for Travis King (ancestor Benjamin Standifer) is pending at NSSAR. The applications for Eric and Alan Middleton, sons of compatriot Garland Middleton, have been approved. The application for Richard Manzer was approved by NSSAR and will be presented today. Alan Ball’s application has been submitted to CASSAR and is pending. Darron Ottley’s application requires further proofs due to his mother’s DAR application no longer being sufficient to qualify for SAR memberships. Applications for Charles Bates, Carl Sword, David Wyers and Leslie Howell are being prepared. Garland Middleton’s supplemental application for his Patriot ancestor John Evans, Sr., requires additional proof of patriot service. Joel Schmaeman’s supplemental application also requires additional proof due to the new criteria regarding DAR applications. Gil Anema’s supplemental application for ancestor Daniel Kirkland is awaiting additional proofs, and an additional supplemental application for ancestor Ebenezer Whitney has been submitted. Compatriot Bill Hurley has become a CASSAR life member.
- Compatriot Richard Manzer was presented and sworn in as a member of the SAR, based on his ancestor, Daniel Bills, of NC.
Special Presentation: Vicki Schmaeman, mother of Compatriot Joel Schmaeman, requested the reading of the following Veterans Memorial, written by her uncle, John Daniel Horner:
“We honor our veterans. Rightly so, but let us not forget the mothers and fathers who sent their sons and daughters away and proudly displayed a blue star banner in the front window of their home. We must remember the mixture of tears, sadness and pride when those parents had to change the blue star in the banner to gold. We must remember the disabled. We must remember the fiancée who wrote faithfully every day and heard from her future parents-in-law that the telegram had come. We must remember the friends, family and loved ones whose only words heard were “Lost in action,” the only words ever heard. We must remember the widow who never loved another, the widow who raised her children alone, children who never heard their father’s voice, the men and women who have never been able to fill that void. Yes, we are veterans, but we must remember, even though we would like to forget, so America will remember and never forget.” (Written 9 November 2000.)
- Ron Risley reported the activities for the Eagle Scout program.
- R on Risley presented the Law Enforcement Committee report. Chief Deputy Dennis Carpenter has been nominated for the Law Enforcement Commendation Medal, while Fire Captain Jason Kay has been nominated for the Fire Safety Medal. Nominations were approved by the membership.
- Ron Risely reported out on the NSSAR annual dues raise of $5, bringing the annual dues to $65. In addition, Youth Memberships will increase by $5 to $10 annual dues requirement.
Old Business: None
New Business: None
Program: Compatriot Robert Taylor presented the program regarding the establishment of the Continental Navy and George Washington’s role in it.
Next Meeting: Friday, 9 October 2009.
Closing: The meeting was adjourned following the SAR recessional and the benediction by Acting Chaplain Hale Hamilton.
Respectfully submitted by,
Robert Taylor for Gil Anema, Chapter Secretary.