|California Society of
Sons of the American Revolution
Gen. George S. Patton, Jr., Chapter
The regular monthly luncheon meeting of the General George S. Patton, Jr., Chapter SAR washeld Friday, 9 October 2009, in the Garden Room of Marie Callender’s Restaurant, 1295 S. Victoria Ave., Ventura, CA. The meeting was called to order by Chapter Vice President Robert Taylor, acting in the absence of President Ward White. The Invocation was given by Compatriot Chaplain Gary Smith, followed by the Pledge to the Flag and the Pledge to the SAR. In attendance were thirteen compatriots: Vice President Bob Taylor, Past Presidents Bill Henry, Hale Hamilton and Ron Risley, Secretary Gil Anema, Treasurer Bill Bays, Garland Middleton, Eric Strassforth, J. Hurst, Gary Smith, Warren Warner, Bill Hurley and George Horne. Two visiting Compatriots: Elwin Spray (Hawaii) and Burt Jacobs (Santa Barbara). The eight guests included Mrs. Vicki Schmaeman (mother of compatriot Joel Schmaeman), and compatriots’ wives Mrs. Rosemarie Risley, Mrs. Shirley Hamilton, Mrs. Rosalee Middleton, and Mrs. Bernie Smith, and three members of the Ventura Fire Department.
Reports: Reports were given by the following officers:
- Secretary Gil Anema presented the minutes of the 11 Sept meeting, which were approved as read.
- Treasurer Bill Bays presented the treasurer’s report, which was approved as read.
- Registrar George Horne presented the registrar’s report. The application for Travis King (ancestor Benjamin Standifer) is pending at NSSAR. Additional documents were submitted. Alan Ball’s and Carl Sowrd’s applications have been has been received at NSSAR. Darron
Ottley’s application requires further proofs due to his mother’s DAR application no longer being sufficient to qualify for SAR memberships. Applications for Charles Bates, David Wyers and Leslie Howell are being prepared. Garland Middleton’s supplemental application for his Patriot ancestor John Evans, Sr., requires additional proof of patriot service. Joel Schmaeman’s supplemental application also requires additional proof due to the new criteria regarding DAR applications. Gil Anema’s supplemental application for ancestor Daniel Kirkland is awaiting additional proofs, and an additional supplemental application for ancestor Ebenezer Whitney has been received at NSSAR. Three Regular and two junior member applications are being prepared by Jim Faulkinbury for our chapter. Two additional prospective members Alan Hanson and Robert Steenberge have been contacted.
Special Presentation: Ron Risley presented the Fire Safety Medal to Captain Jason Kay of Engine Company 4, Ventura County Fire Department.
Old Business: None
- Color Guard will be assembled for Veterans Day ceremonies on 11 Nov.
- Vice President Robert Taylor and Ron Risley will attend the State SAR meeting in Riverside on
13 November 2009.
- Dick Hawley is Caring for his wife who had a serious stroke. Prayers for her recovery were
Program: Compatriot Robert Taylor presented the program regarding the establishment of the Continental Navy, Part II.
Next Meeting: Friday, 13 November 2009.
Closing: The meeting was adjourned following the SAR recessional and the benediction by Chaplain Gary Smith.
Respectfully submitted by,
Gil Anema, Chapter Secretary.