|California Society of
Sons of the American Revolution
Gen. George S. Patton, Jr., Chapter
The regular monthly luncheon meeting of the General George S. Patton, Jr., Chapter SAR was held Friday, 13 November 2009, in the Garden Room of Marie Callender’s Restaurant, 1295 S. Victoria Ave., Ventura, CA. The meeting was called to order by President Ward White. The Invocation was given by Compatriot Chaplain Gary Smith, followed by the Pledge to the Flag and the Pledge to the SAR. A moment of silent prayer was observed in remembrance of Compatriot Burt Jacobs who recently departed on 3 November 2009. A memorial service would be held on Saturday, 14 November 2009 at 2 pm in Camarillo. In attendance were twenty Compatriots: President Ward White, Past Presidents Hale Hamilton and Steve Hurst, Secretary Gil Anema, Treasurer Bill Bays, Garland Middleton, Eric Strassforth,
Gary Smith, Bill Hurley, George Horne, Frank Budroe, Dennis Richardson, Dan Sword, Lou Kreuzer, Ken Lynch, Dick McMullen, Harry Brown, Bob Colbern, Robert Jordan and Richard Caldwell. The twenty guests included the speaker Peter Small, Steve & Judy Hall, Mrs. Vicki Schmaeman (mother of compatriot Joel Schmaeman), Steve & Ginger Stocks, Roy & Pat Wilheim, Carl Wade, Garret Colbern and Compatriots’ wives Mrs. Rosemarie Risley, Mrs. Shirley Hamilton, Mrs. Rosalee Middleton, Mrs. Bernie Smith, Mrs. Willie Budroe, Mrs. Lois
Lynch, Mrs. Mary Hurley, Dr. Sunny McMullen, Mrs. Elaine Colbern and Mrs. Betsy Horne.
Reports: Reports were given by the following officers:
- Secretary Gil Anema presented the minutes of the 9 October meeting, which were approved as read.
- Treasurer Bill Bays presented the treasurer’s report, which was approved as read. Notice for dues would be going out this week and would be $63 for 2010. There was some discussion on what if any Lifetime member fees. It was later confirmed Lifetime members do not pay any dues (Chapter dues for lifetime members are paid by the State Society).
- Registrar George Horne presented the registrar’s report. The application for Travis King (ancestor Benjamin Standifer) was approved and he would be sworn in today. Eric & Alan Middleton’s and Alan Ball’s applications had been approved. Carl Sword’s application has been received at NSSAR. Applications for David Wyers and Leslie Howell are being prepared. Robert (Bob) Steenberge was recommended as a prospective member by Ed Holt. Joel Schmaeman’s supplemental application also requires additional proof due to the new criteria regarding DAR applications. Gil Anema’s supplemental application for ancestor Daniel Kirkland is awaiting additional proofs, and an additional supplemental application for ancestor Ebenezer Whitney has been received at NSSAR. Three Regular and two junior member applications are being prepared by Jim Faulkinbury for our chapter Keith Nightingale, Ojai; Michael Nightingale, Scotch Plains, NJ; Christopher Nightingale, Encinitas; Andrew Nightingale, Encinitas; and Henry Nightingale, Encinitas). Prospective member Robert Steenberge has been contacted and awaiting response.
- Steve Hurst reported on the Color Guard representation at Ivy Lawn Cemetery in Ventura for the Veterans Day ceremonies on 11 Nov. Light attendance but good participation. Color Gaurds at the event were Gary Smith, Ron Risley, Bob Colbern, Bob Taylor and Steve Hurst.
- Vice President Bob Taylor and Compatriot Ron Risley were attending the State Convention in Riverside and would report at the next meeting.
- Dick Hawley is still Caring for his wife who had a serious stroke.
- Vicki Schmaeman mentioned the grand opening and dedication of the “Veterans Home of California” in Ventura would be held on Friday, 4 December 2009. For information call (818) 742-1761.
- Lou Kreuger reported the Essay Contest announcement was sent to the local papers and schools. It was mentioned that some private schools have not received the announcement in the past and to ensure their inclusion.
- Bob Taylor and his work with the outreach programs, specifically the Navy Sea Cadets, was reported in the local paper.
Membership Award Presentation: President Ward White welcomed new member Compatriot Travis King to the chapter, descendant of Patriot Benjamin Standford.
Program: Peter M. Small, historical impressionist, gave a compelling presentation Bringing History to Life as “Thomas Jefferson”.
Next Meeting: Friday, 11 December 2009 – Rosemarie Risley presenting “The History of the Christmas Tree”
Closing: The meeting was adjourned following the SAR recessional and the benediction by Chaplain Gary Smith.
Respectfully submitted by,
Gil Anema, Chapter Secretary.