|California Society of
Sons of the American Revolution
Gen. George S. Patton, Jr., Chapter
The regular monthly luncheon meeting of the General George S. Patton, Jr., Chapter SAR was held Friday, 11 December 2009, in the Garden Room of Marie Callender’s Restaurant, 1295 S. Victoria Ave., Ventura, CA. The meeting was called to order by President Ward White. The Invocation was given by Compatriot Chaplain Gary Smith, followed by the Pledge to the Flag and the Pledge to the SAR.
In attendance were twenty Compatriots: President Ward White, Vice-president Bob Taylor, Secretary Gil Anema, Treasurer Bill Bays, Registrar George Horne, Past Presidents Hale Hamilton, Bill Henry and Steve Hurst, Ron Risley, Garland Middleton, Alan Middleton, Eric
Strassforth, Gary Smith, Bill Hurley, Frank Budroe, Lou Kreuzer, Ken Lynch, Dick McMullen, Bob Colbern, and Ed Holt. The sixteen guests included prospective member Gene Cooper, Mrs. Vicki Schmaeman (mother of compatriot Joel Schmaeman), Garret Colbern and Compatriots’ wives Mrs. Rosemarie Risley, Mrs. Shirley Hamilton, Mrs. Rosalee Middleton, Mrs. Bernie Smith, Mrs. Willie Budroe, Mrs. Mary Hurley, Dr. Sunny McMullen, Mrs. Elaine Colbern, Mrs. Fran Henry, Mrs. Carolyn Cooper, Mrs. Darrien Taylor, Mrs. Susan Holt, and Betsy Horne.
Reports: Reports were given by the following officers:
- Secretary Gil Anema presented the minutes of the 13 November meeting, which were approved as read.
- Treasurer Bill Bays presented the treasurer’s report, which was approved as read. Notice for dues would be going out this week and would be $63 for 2010. There was some discussion on what if any Lifetime member fees. It was later confirmed Lifetime members do not pay any dues (Chapter dues for lifetime members are paid by the State Society).
- Registrar George Horne presented the registrar’s report. The application for Carl Sword was approved. Applications were submitted for David Wyers and Gene Cooper. Application for Leslie Howell was received at NSSAR. Robert (Bob) Steenberge was recommended as a
prospective member by Ed Holt. Joel Schmaeman’s supplemental applications were resubmitted. Adjustment to the New rules regarding DAR applications made the corresponding proofs acceptable. Gil Anema’s supplemental application for ancestor Daniel Kirkland is awaiting
additional proofs, and an additional supplemental application for ancestor Ebenezer Whitney was approved. Three Regular and two junior member applications prepared by Jim Faulkinbury for our chapter Keith Nightingale, Ojai; Michael Nightingale, Scotch Plains, NJ; Christopher Nightingale, Encinitas; Andrew Nightingale, Encinitas; and Henry Nightingale, Encinitas) were received at NSSAR.
- Vice President Bob Taylor and Compatriot Ron Risley reported on the State Convention held in Riverside during the last meeting. Various amendments were approved. The Convention is important to the Health of the organization.
- Ward White passed out a CD and letter from the National President.
- Ron Risley mentioned the mailings from National regarding library reconstruction and move. It was proposed and approved to collect from the members for the cause and to include $100 from the Chapter. Treasurer Bill Bays was appointed to collect the donations and forward to National. The annual report was submitted to National by Ron Risley on behalf of the Secretary. The Chapter has 22 Life Members, five new members in 2009 before 1 November 2009 and three new members since 1 November. Two members of the Chapter are running for State Office; Steve Hurst as Vice President South and Dick Hurley as State Treasurer. Chapter endorsement was approved.
- A letter for John Little was presented by Ward White to Bob Colburn for ROTC.
Membership Award Presentation: President Ward White welcomed new member Compatriot Alan Middleton to the chapter and new member Eric Middleton (accepted by Garland Middleton on his behalf).
Program: “The History of the Christmas Tree” by Rosemarie Risley. This was followed by the traditional Christmas Raffle graciously arranged by Rosemarie Risley and Fran Henry.
Installation of the 2010 Chapter Officers was conducted by Compatriot Ron Risley followed by the customary presentation of the Gavel to new President Bob Taylor.
Next Meeting: Friday, 8 January 2010 – Compatriot Ron Risley presenting “Your SAR Membership”
Closing: The meeting was adjourned following the SAR recessional and the benediction by Chaplain Gary Smith.
Respectfully submitted by,
Gil Anema, Chapter Secretary.