Society of the
Sons of the American Revolution
Gen. George S. Patton, Jr., Chapter
Minutes of the 12 February 2010 Meeting
The regular monthly luncheon meeting of the General George S. Patton, Jr., Chapter SAR was held Friday, 12 Februray 2010, in the Garden Room of Marie Callender's Restaurant, 1295 S. Victoria Ave., Ventura, CA. The meeting was called to order by President Robert Taylor. The Invocation was given by Chaplain Gary Smith, followed by the Pledge to the Flag and the Pledge to the SAR.
In attendance were eighteen Compatriots: President Robert Taylor, Secretary Gil Anema, Treasurer Bill Bays, Past Presidents Ward White, Hale Hamilton, Steve Hurst and Ron Risley, Garland Middleton, Eric Stassforth, Gary Smith, Frank Budroe, Richard McMullen, Bob Colbern, Harry Brown, Richard Hawley, Keith Knightingale, Dan Sword and Chuck Bennett. The 14 guests included prospective member Trevor Ashton, Bob Jordan, Garrett Coburn, Judy Whittington, Jim Rooney, Terri Gonzales, Mrs. Vicki Schmaeman (mother of compatriot Joel Schmaeman) and Compatriots' wives Mrs. Rosemarie Risley, Mrs. Shirley Hamilton, Mrs. Bernie Smith, Mrs. Willie Budroe, Dr. Sunny McMullen, Mrs. Marion Brown, Mrs. Elaine Coburn and Mrs. Joanna Bennett.
Reports: Reports were given by the following officers:
- Secretary Gil Anema presented the minutes of the 8 January meeting, which were approved as read.
- Treasurer Bill Bays presented the treasurer's report, which was approved as read. $100 will be sent Saturday from the chapter for the SAR library as approved at the December meeting. An increase in the cost for lunch was discussed. Motion was approved to increase the lunch to $16 plus $1 for dessert effective at the March meeting to cover the lunch increase.
- Eric Stassforth presented the registrar's report for registrar George Horne. Applications for David Wyers, Gene Cooper and Leslie Howell are at NSSAR. Joel Schmaeman's and Gil Anema's supplemental applications are at NSSAR. Three Regular and two junior member applications prepared by Jim Faulkinbury for our chapter Keith Nightingale, Ojai; Michael Nightingale, Scotch Plains, NJ; Christopher Nightingale, Encinitas; Andrew Nightingale, Encinitas; and Henry Nightingale, Encinitas) were approved. Two prospective members are being assisted by Eric, Denis Murphy and Trevor Ashton.
Membership Presentation: President Robert Taylor welcomed new member Compatriot Keith Nightingale & family to the Chapter.
- Lou Kruezer was absent to report on "The Spirit of America" essay submissions which were due last month.
- Ward White reported on his presentation of the "SAR Eagle Scout" Certificate to Eagle Scout John Caldwell at his court of honor 23 January 2010.
- Massing of the Colors for Sunday, 21 February 2010 at Forest Lawn in LA. Color Guard members Gary Smith, Garland Middleton, Steve Hurst and Robert Taylor will participate in honor of Presidents Day.
- 135th Meeting of the California SAR membership 9-10 April 2010 at the Embassy Suite in Sacramento will be attended by Ron Risley, Steve Hurst and Dick Hawley representing the chapter.
- Society of Colonial Wars meeting was attended by Robert Taylor and Ron Risley. The society meets four times a year. There was good attendance and provided an opportunity to meet others from the various organizations with similar interests like the SAR, DAR and War of 1812.
- Members were again invited to attend the DAR meeting to be held 11:00 am, 25 February 2010 at Marie Callender's. The guest speaker will be Steven Hintz on "Constitutional Change - Good and the Bad". He is a Judge from the Ventura Supreme Court. Lunch is $14 plus dessert.
New Business: None
Program: "One Vietnam Veteran's Odyssey" by Compatriot Chuck Bennett. He was instrumental in the getting the new Veterans Home of California, Ventura located at 10900 Telephone Road. He challenged the chapter to purchase a flag to provide for an appropriate place that needs one to promote the ideals of the organization. A motion was made and approved by the members to act on the challenge.
- Following the program, Garland Middleton presented a U.S. Flag flown over the U.S. Capital (and Certificate signed by Congressman Gallegly) to Compatriot Bennett in appreciation for his service to Veterans. Robert Taylor then presented the SAR Service to Veterans Medal for Compatriot Bennett's long and exemplary voluntary service on behalf of the veterans of the Armed Forces of the United States.
- The SAR Martha Washington Medal was presented to Terri Taylor Gonzales, Director and Manager of Ivy Lawn Memorial Park in Ventura, for her long service to the community in co-sponsoring patriotic events.
- The SAR Good Citizenship Medal was presented to Steve Hurst on behalf of David E. Pressey in appreciation for his patriotic service to the nation, state and community.
Next Meeting: Friday, 12 March 2010 - Compatriot William Bays presenting "Rifles and Sidearm's of the Revolutionary War"
Closing: The meeting was adjourned following the SAR recessional and the benediction by Chaplain Gary Smith.
Respectfully submitted by,
Gil Anema, Chapter Secretary.