Society of the
Sons of the American Revolution
Gen. George S. Patton, Jr., Chapter
Minutes of the 14 May 2010 Meeting
The regular monthly luncheon meeting of the General George S. Patton, Jr., Chapter SAR was held Friday, 14 May 2010, in the Garden Room of Marie Callender’s Restaurant, 1295 S. Victoria Ave., Ventura, CA. The meeting was called to order by Vice President Bill Hurley. The Invocation was given by Chaplain Gary Smith, followed by the Pledge to the Flag and the Pledge to the SAR.
In attendance were eighteen Compatriots: President Robert Taylor, Vice President Bill Hurley, Secretary Gil Anema, Treasurer Bill Bays, Registrar George Horne, Genealogist Eric Stassforth, Historian Hale Hamilton, Chaplain Gary Smith, Past Presidents Ward White, Steve Hurst and Ron Risley, Dr. Garland Middleton, Richard Manzer, Dr. Bob Colbern, Dan Sword, Frank Budroe, Dick Hawley and Gene Cooper. The eleven guests included George Abrahms, Garrett Colbern (Compatriot Colbern’s grandson), Vicki Schmaeman, prospective member Jim Wyly and Compatriots’ wives Mrs. Shirley Hamilton, Mrs. Bernie Smith, Mrs. Rosalee Middleton, Mrs. Rosemarie Risley, Mrs. Willie Budroe, Mrs. Carol Cooper and Mrs. Elaine Colbern.
- Secretary Gil Anema presented the minutes of the 9 April 2010 meeting, approved with corrections.
- Treasurer Bill Bays presented the treasurer’s report, which was approved as read.
- Registrar George Horne presented the registrar’s report. Applications approved for Gene Cooper, for Patriot Josiah Swet, and for David Wyers for ancestor Asa Harris. Gil Anema’s supplemental for ancestor Daniel Kirkland was approved by NSSAR. Joel Schmaeman’s (ancestors Magdalena Schliechty and Jonathon Wood) are at national. Genealogy for J. Wood was approved. Supplementals for Richard McMullen (ancestor Henry Emigh), Gil Anema (ancestors David Whitney, Enos Waterbury and Simeon Raymond) and Ward White (ancestor Simeon Church) are at National. Three prospective members are being assisted by Compatriot Stassforth: Denis Murphy, Trevor Ashton and Dale Dehart. Five prospective members in work: Jim Wyly, Dave Armstrong, Robert Steenberge, Samuel Thompson and Ed Lewis.
- Compatriots Ron Risley and Gil Anema, Mrs. Colbern and guest George Abrahms were recognized for celebrating a birthday in April.
President Robert Taylor presented new member certificate to Gene Cooper for Patriot Joseph Sweet. David Wyers was unable to attend to receive his membership certificate and George Horne will present to him.
- Life membership certificates were presented to Steve Hurst and Bill Hurley.
- Member Bio: Compatriot Bill Hurley provided an interesting history of his ancestor.
- President Robert Taylor provided an account of the 135th Meeting of the California SAR membership held 9-10 April, 2010 at the Embassy Suite in Sacramento. The meeting was attended by Compatriots Robert Taylor, Ron Risley, Steve Hurst and Dick Hawley representing the chapter. He was proud to announce that Compatriot Steve Hurst was the new Regional CASSAR VP South.
- Compatriot Steve Hurst in his capacity as CASSAR VP South had attended several of the sister Chapter meetings. He announced that Chapter Competition Rules had changed.
- Compatriot Ron Risley reported on his attendance at the Eagle Scout honors in Simi Valley on April 30th.
- Compatriot Bob Colbern reported he would be attending Cadet meetings at Port Hueneme High School on May 21st and at Oxnard High School on May 26th.
- Compatriot Ron Risley reported that the California Compatriot will again be distributed in hard copy to the members.
- Still looking for a suitable organization to foster the ideals of the SAR by loaning of the Flag being purchased as approved by the members at the February meeting in response to the challenge by Compatriot Bennett.
- President Robert Taylor passed on his thanks to Compatriot Alan Buckley for updating the Chapter website and invited everyone to visit it. He was looking for someone to develop the “Spirit of America” program page for the website. Compatriot Ron Risley accepted the challenge.
- Rosemarie Risley mentioned that the National website had not been updated and showed Compatriot Ward White as chapter president.
- Memorial Day, May 31st at Ivy Lawn Cemetery in Ventura. The Color Guard with Compatriot Garland Middleton, Bob Coburn, Ron Risley and Steve Hurst participating. Bob Coburn will be presenting a wreath for our fallen Compatriots this year (Compatriots Leslie Howell and Burt Jacobs).
- Compatriot Risley moved that we recognize to DAR members for the strong support: Medal of Appreciation to Vicki Schmaeman and Daughter of Liberty medal to Patti Longo.
- Compatriot Ward White mentioned GoodSearch.com will contribute to a registered non-profit organization of your choice if used for searching. He suggested the Chapter consider registering. Compatriot Bill Bays moved that we register the Chapter. Compatriots Ron Risley, Ward White and Gill Anema were identified to head a committee to look into it.
- Spirit of America Awards were coming up in June. Compatriot Gary Smith, Garland Middleton, Gil Anema and Bill Hurley volunteered to attend and present the awards.
- President Taylor mentioned the chapter flags were in need of replacement and were over 25 years old. It was moved that we fund their replacement and allocate $500 for their purchase. Compatriot Steve Hurt asked what would be done with the old flags.
- President Taylor mentioned the Best Chapter Contest. Compatriot Ron Risley nominated Compatriot Hurst to head a committee to compile the worksheet with Compatriots George Horne, Registrar, and Gil Anema, Secretary, as committee members.
- President Taylor mentioned the Field of Honor was being held this weekend in Costa Mesa.
Compatriot Bays mentioned Compatriot Caldwell had Hip replacement surgery. Compatriot Gary Smith would send a get-well card for the chapter.
- Recommended changes to the Bylaws were discussed.
- National meeting would be held in Cleveland. Any members interested in attending please see President Taylor.
- The Fall meeting of the CASSAR will be held in San Jose area.
- The 6th annual potluck in Orange County was recently sent to members in an e-mail inviting all to join fellow Compatriots.
- Compatriot Garland Middleton had moved that the Chapter provide certificates of appreciation to the Boy Scouts who help setup flags at the memorial service as the VFW will no longer provide the important recognition of there help. Compatriot Ron Risley offered to develop certificates and print for presentation.
Program: “Rev. Samuel Kirkland: Missionary-Patriot-Diplomat-Idealist” presented by Compatriot Gil Anema.
Next Meeting: Friday, 11 June 2010 – Compatriot Steve Hurst, CASSAR VP South presenting “George Washington & Dale Carnegie.”
Closing: The meeting was adjourned following the SAR recessional and the benediction by Chaplain Gary Smith.
Respectfully submitted by,
Gil Anema, Chapter Secretary.