Society of the
Sons of the American Revolution
Gen. George S. Patton, Jr., Chapter
Minutes of the 11 June 2010 Meeting
The regular monthly luncheon meeting of the General George S. Patton, Jr., Chapter SAR was held Friday, 11 June 2010, in the Garden Room of Marie Callender’s Restaurant, 1295 S. Victoria Ave., Ventura, CA. The meeting was called to order by Vice President Bill Hurley. The Invocation was given by Chaplain Gary Smith, followed by the Pledge to the Flag, led by Cub Scout, Garrett Colbern, and the Pledge to the SAR.
In attendance were twenty Compatriots: Vice President Bill Hurley, Treasurer Bill Bays, Registrar George Horne, Genealogist Eric Stassforth, Chaplain Gary Smith, Ward White, Hale Hamilton, Dr. Bill Henry, Frank Budroe, Steve Hurst, Ron Risley, Dr. Garland Middleton, Richard McMullen, Dr. Bob Colbern, Dan Sword, Gene Cooper, Lou Krueger, Harry Brown, Richard Caldwell, and Ed Holt. The twelve guests included Carol Koch, Garrett Colbern (Compatriot Colbern’s grandson), Sam Thompson (prospective member), Mary Thompson, and Compatriots’ wives Mrs. Willie Budroe, Mrs. Rosemarie Risley, Mrs. Susan Holt, Mrs. Shirley Hamilton, Mrs. Bernie Smith, Dr. Sunny McMullen, Mrs. Rosalee Middleton, and Mrs. Elaine Colbern.
- There were no birthdays claimed between 15 May and 11 June. It was noted that Richard McMullen’s birthday was 11 May and Dan Sword announced he and his wife recently celebrated their 59th anniversary.
- Neither Gil Anema nor Joel Schmaeman were present and we did not have their supplemental membership certificates, so that was tabled until the July meeting.
- There was no reading of the last meeting’s minutes as we had none and they need to be presented for correction/addition/approval at July’s meeting. George Horne took notes as acting secretary.
- Treasurer Bill Bays presented the treasurer’s report, which was approved as read.
- Registrar George Horne presented the registrar’s report. Three prospective members are being assisted by Compatriot Stassforth: Denis Murphy, Trevor Ashton and Dale Dehart. Other prospective members are: Jim Wyly, Dave Armstrong, Robert Steenberge, Samuel Thompson, Ed Lewis, and Chris Lowe.
Compatriot Ward White gave a very interesting history on his ancestor, Giles White. Those scheduled to talk about their ancestors at future meetings are: Richard McMullen, July; Richard Caldwell, August; Ron Risley, September; Bill Bays, October; Eric Stassforth, November; Bob Colburn, December; and Steve Hurst, January.
- Ed Holt made an announcement about the Red, White, and Blue Ball to be held at the Reagan Presidential Library.
1. Garland Middleton, Gary Smith and Bill Hurley gave a recap of Spirit of America (SOA) awards earlier this month at their assigned schools.
2. Garland Middleton and Ron Risley covered the events at Conejo Mountain & Ivy Lawn cemeteries. Ron Risley reported that Garland Middleton was recognized for his forty years’ service with the memorial. Representing SAR at the Ivy Lawn Event were Bob Colburn, Eric Stassforth, Frank Budroe, Steve Hurst, Garland Middleton and Ron Risley.
3. There was no update re awards to DAR’s Patti Longo and Vickie Schmaeman.
4. George Horne noted the chapter roster has been updated and can be sent to most electronically or mailed to others. A show of hands revealed 3 members do not have or do not use email.
5. No one proffered any organizations who needed loaner flags at this point.
6. Ron Risley volunteered to handle getting write-ups onto the chapter website for the SOA Awards
7. No one volunteered individuals for awards. Garland Middleton noted someone who puts forth organizing flags at the cemeteries each year (didn’t catch name) as a possibility. Steve Hurst noted a need for publicity for the awards.
8. No one present was planning on attending the NSSAR meeting in Cleveland.
9. Steve Hurst reported on Best Chapter contest. He noted that we get credit for various submissions and accomplishments.
10. The BBQ in Orange County was noted
There was no new business brought up.
Steve Hurst presented a very good program on “George Washington & Dale Carnegie” and held a drawing for George Washington’s rules book and donated the proceeds [$23.00] back to the chapter.
- Friday, 9 July 2010 – Compatriots Ron Risley, Eric Stassforth, and George Horne: “Genealogy and You”
- Closing: The meeting was adjourned following the SAR recessional and the benediction by Chaplain Gary Smith.
Respectfully submitted by,
George Horne, Acting Chapter Secretary