Society of the
Sons of the American Revolution
Gen. George S. Patton, Jr., Chapter
Minutes of the 10 September 2010 Meeting
The regular monthly luncheon meeting of the General George S. Patton, Jr., Chapter SAR was held Friday, 10 September 2010, in the Garden Room of Marie Callender’s Restaurant, 1295 S. Victoria Ave., Ventura, CA. The meeting was called to order by President Bob Taylor. The Invocation was given by Chaplain Gary Smith, followed by the Pledge to the Flag, and the Pledge to the SAR.
In attendance were eighteen Compatriots: President Robert Taylor, Secretary Gil Anema, Treasurer Bill Bays, Registrar George Horne, Genealogist Eric Stassforth, Chaplain Gary Smith, Ward White, Hale Hamilton, Dr. Bill Henry, Ron Risley, Dr. Garland Middleton, Richard McMullen, Dr. Bob Colbern, Gene Cooper, Bob Jordan, Ken Lynch, Rick Manzer and prospective member Dan Cormod. The six guests included Garrett Colbern (Compatriot Colbern’s grandson and Compatriots’ wives Mrs. Rosemarie Risley, Mrs. Shirley Hamilton, Mrs. Bernie Smith, Dr. Sunny McMullen and Mrs. Rosalee Middleton.
- Compatriot birthdays for the months of Aug & Sep were recognized by President Bob Taylor. None of the Compatriot wives or guests acknowledge having celebrating their birthday.
- Supplemental certificate presentation was tabled until October.
- Certificate of Appreciation was presented to Richard McMullen for his presentation last year.
- The minutes for the meetings of 9 July and 13 August were not read, and were deferred to October.
- The treasurer’s report was presented by the Treasurer, Bill Bays, and accepted.
- Registrar George Horne presented the registrar’s report. Working with several prospective members, Dan Cormod, Denis Murphy, Trevor Ashton, Dale DeHArt, Jim Wyly, Robert Steenberg and Chris Lowe. David Armstrong’s and Samuel Thompson’s applications are at NSSAR. Ed Lewis application was sent to CASSAR. Gil Anema’s, Richard McMullen’s, Ward White’s, Alan & Eric Middleton’s and Charles Bradbury’s supplemental applications are at NSSAR. Richard McMullen’s supplemental application was approved by NSSAR.
- Compatriot Ron Risley gave an interesting historical bio on three of his ancestors, the Risleys of Connecticut. Those scheduled to present bios about their ancestors at future meetings are: Bill Bays, October; Eric Stassforth, November; Bob Colburn, December; and Steve Hurst, January.
- The Chapter was reminded to review the roster periodically and provide George Horn with any required changes.
- Presenters for Chapter programs were requested for November and subsequent months.
- Volunteers to fill Committee vacancies were requested.
- The Jamestowne Society meeting for 23 October at the Regency Club in Westwood was again announced. Martha M. McCartney, Research Historian & Author, will be the featured speaker.
- President Taylor reported on the Wallbuilders program, presented at the Ventura Baptist Church
- Ron Risley recommended the SAR Good Citizenship Medal be presented to Jennifer Vasquez for her services as bugler in the First US Volunteers, who provide military salutes for funerals and civic events, and a certificate for the group to CWO (ret) Carl Wade. Motion was made and carried.
- The 136th CASSAR Fall Board of Managers meeting was announced, to be held 5-6 November at the Embassy Suites in Santa Clara, CA. Compatriots were invited to attend.
- The CASSAR Life Membership program is on hold due to financial concerns; no new applicants will be accepted, pending adjustments.
- NSSAR announced that copies of original Compatriot applications dated through 31 December 1970 (NSSAR #48800) will be available only through Ancestry.com due to the fragile condition of the applications. The date of availability was not provided.
Program: The program "Captain William Cherry: A Love Story", detailing the circumstances of his marriage with Mary Ann Hollenback, was presented by President Taylor.
Next Meeting: Friday, 8 October 2010 – Compatriot Rick Manzer “USCG Memorabilia & Thoughts”
Closing: The meeting was adjourned following the SAR recessional and the benediction by Chaplain Gary Smith.
Respectfully submitted by, Gil Anema, Chapter Secretary