Society of the
Sons of the American Revolution
Gen. George S. Patton, Jr., Chapter
Minutes of the 8 October 2010 Meeting
The regular monthly luncheon meeting of the General George S. Patton, Jr., Chapter SAR was held Friday, 8 October 2010, in the Garden Room of Marie Callender’s Restaurant, 1295 S. Victoria Ave., Ventura, CA. The meeting was called to order by President Robert Taylor. The Invocation was given by Chaplain Gary Smith, followed by the Pledge of Allegiance and the Pledge to the SAR.
In attendance were nineteen Compatriots: President Robert Taylor, Vice President Bill Hurley, Treasurer Bill Bays, Registrar George Horne, Genealogist Eric Stassforth, Chaplain Gary Smith, Ward White, Hale Hamilton, Dr. Bill Henry, Steve Hurst, Ron Risley, Dr. Garland Middleton, Richard McMullen, Lou Krueger, Rick Manzer, Dave Armstrong, Dick Hawley, Dr Robert Jordan, and Ken Lynch. The thirteen guests included Sam Thompson (prospective member), Mary Thompson, Jim Wily, Vicki Schmaeman, CWO USN Ret. Carl Wade and Mrs. Wade, Jennifer Vasquez, Rafael Tinajero, and Compatriots’ wives Mrs. Rosemarie Risley, Mrs. Shirley Hamilton, Mrs. Bernie Smith, Dr. Sunny McMullen, and Mrs. Rosalee Middleton.
Recent birthdays were recognized.
President Robert Taylor passed out minutes for the 7/9/10, 8/13/10, and 9/10/10 meetings. They were approved subject to possible corrections. George Horne took notes as acting secretary.
Treasurer Bill Bays presented the treasurer’s report, which was approved as read.
Registrar George Horne presented the registrar’s report:
- Four prospective members are being assisted by Compatriot Stassforth: Dan Cormode, Denis Murphy, Trevor Ashton and Dale Dehart. Other prospective members are: Jim Wyly, Dave Armstrong, Robert Steenberge, Byron Kelly, and Chris Lowe.
- New member applications for Samuel Thompson, Ed Lewis, and Charles Bradbury have been received at NSSAR. Supplemental applications for Gil Anema (3), Ward White, and Alan and Eric Middleton have been received at NSSAR.
- Supplemental applications for Ward White (4), and Gene Cooper have been sent to CASSAR.
- NSSAR approved new member David Armstrong.
David Armstrong, new member; Joel Schmaeman and Dick McMullen, supplementals. Joel was not present and his mother, Vicki Schmaeman, accepted the certificate. Gil Anema was not present to receive his supplemental so it was tabled for a future meeting.
Compatriot Bill Bays gave an informative history on his ancestor, Colonel William Russell. Those scheduled to talk about their ancestors at future meetings are: Eric Stassforth, November; Bob Colburn, December; and Steve Hurst, January.
USN Ret. Carl V. Wade was presented with the SAR Service to Veterans medal for his work with the 1st U. S. Volunteers which honors veterans at their funeral services. Jennifer Vasquez, 12 years old, was also presented with a medal for her volunteer service as a bugler for a military honors detail which attends funerals.
Ron Risley announced that the Eagle Scout recognition (chapter winner) is Jonathan Capreen. The decision was approved.
Old and New Business:
- Vicki Schmaeman, Veterans Committee, reported on the 9/11/10 American Flag Retirement Ceremony at the Veterans Home of
- California-Ventura. The home now has 29 residents.
- President Robert Taylor asked that members update their e-mail addresses for the roster.
- Dates for the CASSAR and Jamestowne Society meetings were announced.
- There have been changes to the Junior membership and there will be new information coming out on the currently on hold Life
- Lou Krueger reported that Essay Contest publicity was published in the newspaper.
- Volunteers for next year’s program presentations and for committee membership was requested.
- Reservation forms and information is available for the upcoming Jamestowne Society meeting in Westwood 23 Oct and the CASSAR Board of Managers meeting in Santa Clara 5-6 Nov. Compatriots were encouraged to attend the CASSAR meeting.
Compatriot Rick Manzer presented a very interesting program he called “USCG Memorabilia & Thoughts”. He talked about Coast Guard history and brought some of his collection to display and discuss. Rick would like to have his own museum some day if he can work it out.
Friday, 12 November 2010 – Compatriot Bob Colbern: “Gen. George C. Marshall; Architect of Victory in WW II”.
Closing: The meeting was adjourned following the SAR recessional and the benediction by Chaplain Gary Smith.
Respectfully submitted by,
George Horne, Acting Chapter Secretary