Society of the
Sons of the American Revolution
Gen. George S. Patton, Jr., Chapter
Minutes of the 14 January 2011 Meeting
The regular monthly luncheon meeting of the General George S. Patton, Jr., Chapter SAR was held Friday, 14 January 2011, in the Garden Room of Marie Callender’s Restaurant, 1295 S. Victoria Ave., Ventura, CA. The meeting was called to order by President Robert Taylor at 11:35 am. The Invocation was given by Acting Chaplain Garland Middleton, followed by the Pledge of Allegiance led by Compatriot Lou Kreuzer and the Pledge to the SAR.
In attendance were eighteen Compatriots: President Robert Taylor, Vice President Bill Hurley, Treasurer Bill Bays, Registrar George Horne, Genealogist Eric Stassforth, Ward White, Hale Hamilton, Bill Henry, CASSAR VP-South Steve Hurst, Historian Ron Risley, Garland Middleton, Richard McMullen, Lou Kruezer, Ken Lynch, Gene Cooper, Hale Hamilton, Sam Thompson,and Richard Caldwell. The eleven guests were Jim Wyly, Charles Slosberg, Dan Slosberg, Trevor Ashton, and Compatriots’ wives Mrs. Lois Lynch, Mrs. Rosemarie Risley, Mrs. Shirley Hamilton, Mrs. Sunny McMullen, Mrs. Carol Cooper, Mrs. Mary Thompson and Mrs. Rosalee Middleton.
Recent birthdays were recognized by President Taylor, along with anniversaries including: Compatriots Paul Brown, Alan Buckley, Bob Colbern, Ray Duquette, Dick Hawley, Bill Hurley, Bob Jordan, Lou Kreuzer, Ken Lynch, Eric Middleton, Garland Middleton, Kioren Moss, Michael Nightingale, Keith Nightingale, Gary Smith, Eric Stassforth, Brian Taylor and Ward White
Member and guest introductions were made. Steve Hurst was recognized as State VP-South.
Minutes of the Chapter meetings on 12 November and 10 December 2010 were discussed and approved with one correction being that the Chapter Secretary was not present on December 10 so the minutes of the previous meeting could not be discussed.
Treasurer Bill Bays presented the treasurer’s report , which was approved as read.
Registrar George Horne presented the registrar’s report to include:
Dan Cormode of Ventura. Denis Murphy, Trevor Ashton & Dale DeHart of Camarillo. Eric Stassforth, Chapter Genealogist is assisting them.
Jim Wily of Thousand Oaks, Robert (Bob) Steenberge of Thousand Oaks, Chris Lowe, Byron Kelly, Michael Ford, Dennis Crandall, Steve Hall
NEW APPLICATIONS-APPROVED AT NSSAR
Ed Lewis of Chatsworth – Ancestor Leonard Fite (Genealogy Approved)
Charles Bradbury of Ventura – Ancestor Seth Staples (Genealogy Approved)
SUPPLEMENTAL APPLICATIONS APPROVED AT NSSAR
Eric and Alan Middleton – Ancestor William Morris, Sr.
SUPPLEMENTAL APPLICATIONS-RECEIVED AT NSSAR
Gil Anema – 3 Supplementals: Ancestors Simeon Raymond & David Whitney (both Genealogy Approved) & Enos Waterbury
Ward White (5) – Ancestors Simeon Church, Peleg Sullivan, Thomas Card, Joseph Button, & Gershom Gifford
Gene Cooper – Ancestor John Healy
Eric Stassforth gave the member biographical presentation on his patriot ancestor Captain William Hammond who served at the Lexington Alarm and later as Commissary in Boston MA during the war. President Taylor asked others to volunteer to give other biographical presentations at future meetings. Steve Hurst was recognized by President Taylor with a model aircraft of the type flown by his late father
Old and New Business:
- President Taylor announced an appeal from the CAR for financial support of its State Convention on February 10 and 11. A motion was made by Bill Henry and unanimously passed to contribute the sum of $100 in support of the CAR Convention.
- Bill Hurley announced the Conejo Valley Genealogical Society in Thousand Oaks would meet on March 12 with the guest speaker being well known genealogist Lloyd Bockstruck of Dallas TX.
- Bill Bays discussed the cost of meals at the restaurant would be $17.61 without pie and $18.69 with pie. .A motion was made by Richard Caldwell and seconded by Steve Hurst and unanimously passed to raise the price to $20 per meal effective with the February 11 meeting.
- Lou Kruezer reported that submissions for the Knight Essay contest had been received and would be evaluated.
- President Taylor announced that the Annual CASSAR Meeting of the Membership would be held at the Crown Plaza Hotel in Irvine CA on April 8 to 10, 2011.
- President Taylor announced that the Annual Massing of the Colors at Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Burbank CA would be held in February 2011 and our color guard was invited to participate.
- George Horne asked members to keep their addresses and e-mail addresses up-to-date in the chapter roster that he maintains.
- Eric Stassforth requested members contact him if their children or grandchildren are interested in becoming members of the CAR
- President Taylor requested any member interested in giving a chapter program contact him so that he could arranged it.
- In response to a NSSAR appeal for funds a motion was made and approved by Bill Henry to donate $100 to the NSSAR Library in Louisville KY.
Dan Slossberg of Los Angeles, California, gave a most interesting and entertaining program reenacting the character of Dr. William Beanes who was with Francis Scott Key at the birth of the national anthem during the Battle of Baltimore during the War of 1812.
Friday, 11 February 2011 – Program to be announced.
Closing: The meeting was adjourned following the SAR recessional and the benediction by Acting Chaplain Garland Middleton.
Respectfully submitted by,
Ronald Risley, Acting Chapter Secretary