Society of the
Sons of the American Revolution
Gen. George S. Patton, Jr., Chapter
Minutes of the 11 March 2011 Meeting
The regular monthly luncheon meeting of the General George S. Patton, Jr., Chapter SAR was held Friday, 11 March 2011, in the Garden Room of Marie Callender’s Restaurant, 1295 S. Victoria Ave., Ventura, CA. The meeting was called to order by President Robert Taylor. The Invocation was given by Chaplain Garland Middleton, followed by the Pledge of Allegiance and the Pledge to the SAR.
In attendance were sixteen Compatriots: President Robert Taylor, Vice President Bill Hurley, Treasurer Bill Bays, Registrar George Horne, Genealogist Eric Stassforth, Chaplain Garland Middleton, Ward White, Hale Hamilton, Dr. Bill Henry, Steve Hurst, Ron Risley, Gary Smith, Richard McMullen, Lou Krueger, Dan Sword, and Ken Lynch. The four guests were Compatriots’ wives, Mrs. Shirley Hamilton, Mrs. Bernie Smith, Dr. Sunny McMullen, and Mrs. Rosalee Middleton.
Member and guest introductions were made. Birthdays for Bernie Smith, Bob Taylor, and Dan Sword were recognized.
President Robert Taylor presented the minutes of the previous meeting, which were approved.
Treasurer Bill Bays presented the treasurer’s report, which was approved as read. He announced that the lunch will probably go up in price. He will also look into possible changes to the menu.
Registrar George Horne presented the registrar’s report:
Dan Cormode of Ventura. Denis Murphy, Trevor Ashton & Dale DeHart of Camarillo. Eric Stassforth, Chapter Genealogist is assisting them.
Jim Wily of Thousand Oaks, Robert (Bob) Steenberge of Thousand Oaks, Chuck Dollison of Newbury Park, Chris Lowe, Byron Kelly, Michael Ford, Dennis Crandall, Steve Hall, Dennis Jacobs.
SUPPLEMENTAL APPLICATIONS-APPROVED BY NSSAR
Ward White: Ancestor, Simeon Church.
SUPPLEMENTAL APPLICATIONS-RECEIVED AT NSSAR
Ward White (5): Ancestors, Eleazer Patterson, Peleg Sullivan, Thomas Card, Joseph Button, & Gershom Gifford; Hale Hamilton: Ancestor Ephraim Stevens.
Gene Cooper: Ancestor John Healy.”
Ward White was presented with a Supplemental Certificate for his patriot ancestor, Simeon Church.
Old and New Business:
- Lou Krueger will send out announcements for the essay contest.
- Bob Taylor said that committee members are needed.
- Two scholarships are available for teachers to attend the Valley Forge Foundation meetings.
- Bob Taylor asked that the roster be kept up to date and for changes to be mailed to George Horne.
- Bob Taylor said our chapter would have two votes at the upcoming State Conference in Irvine.
- Announcements were made about the July 4 event honoring veterans and the Conejo Valley Genealogical Society annual seminar.
- The purchase of uniforms by members was encouraged. The chapter will reimburse $150 of the cost.
- The Massing of the Colors will have its 30th anniversary next year. We hope to be represented with a color guard.
- Steve Hurst said he attended an Irvine chapter meeting. The food and service was much better than ours. A discussion was held about possible changes of location.
- Bill Hurley will present an Eagle Scout certificate on March 30 for another chapter.
- Bob Taylor will represent our chapter on an upcoming radio show.
- Several possible subjects were discussed for future meetings.
- Bill Bays reported that the excavation of George Washington’s house in Philadelphia was poorly done.
- Bill Hurley displayed a picture of the Odd Fellows Cemetery in Los Angeles showing how Civil War veterans’ graves were identified.
- Bob Taylor said he was planning a chapter leadership retreat to discuss chapter health and forward planning.
Ward White presented a very interesting program on his ancestors called, “Founding Fathers in White Genes”.
Friday, 8 April 2011 – Dr. Sunny McMullen will give the presentation.
Closing: The meeting was adjourned following the SAR recessional and the benediction by Chaplain Garland Middleton.
Respectfully submitted by,
George Horne, Acting Chapter Secretary